JOIN A SMALL, TALENTED, PASSIONATE TEAM WITH A GREAT WORKING ENVIRONMENT.
Photocrati is a growing digital media company helping photographers improve their web presence while leveraging our premium themes and plugins for the WordPress platform, and capturing our expertise in SEO. Read more about us here. Here are some other important things you should know about us.
We’re a small, talented team, and we enjoy working together.
We are looking for high performers who enjoy being recognized as such and enjoy working alongside other high performers on meaningful projects. We respect each other, work well together, and believe in having fun and having a life outside of work. We want people who have internal passion and drive, and want to be a part of our team.
Work from anywhere with flexible hours.
Photocrati presents an intriguing working arrangement with the ability to work at home, anywhere in the world, with flexibility of your work schedule. Our team is spread out across the US, Canada, and Europe. We prefer people to work most of their hours during normal US business hours, but allow a lot of flexibility.
Competitive compensation and benefits.
We offer competitive salaries and 4 weeks of vacation for full time employees. For US employees, we offer health insurance benefits. For employees overseas, we offer compensation to offset health insurance costs.
We hire people provisionally as contractors, and move toward full time regular employment once proven.
For all positions below, we will initially hire you as a contractor on an hourly or project-by-project basis. During this period, you will not receive full-time benefits. If you are the right person and the right fit, we’ll convert your work arrangement to a full-time salaried position with benefits. If you are very talented, and the kind of person that would prefer to remain a contractor, we may be able to offer ongoing work on a part time basis.
Responding to applications.
Due the large volume of enquiries that we receive, please understand that only individuals with a close fit with our requirements will be contacted directly. We will review applications for talented individuals from the United States, Canada, and Western Europe who speak native or exceptionally fluent English. We will not evaluate applications from outsourcing or recruiting agencies.
WORDPRESS DEVELOPER / SOFTWARE ENGINEER
WORDPRESS DEVELOPER / SOFTWARE ENGINEER
As part of an elite team, you will investigate, design, and develop software that brings new functionality, increased stability, and enhanced scalability to Photocrati’s premium WordPress themes, hosting, plugins, and other products. This is a highly motivated and cooperative team, relying on the abilities of all its members to develop innovation and robust solutions. Some of the specific duties include:
- Designing and developing extensible themes and plugins for WordPress, which follow best development practices and methodologies
- Developing and reviewing software requirements, designs, and unit test plans
- Implementing your designs with high-quality, high-performance, maintainable code
- Debugging and troubleshooting code following Photocrati’s QA process
- Refactoring existing code bases to meet Photocrati standards
REQUIREMENTS: KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
The candidate should have demonstrated experience in software development and design. Applicants must meet the following core criteria:
- Expert in WordPress plugin and theme development, with an understanding of the WordPress community and recent developments of WordPress
- Strong experience in AJAX development and debugging
- Knowledge of design principles and development best practices, such as DRY, MVC, SoC
- Working experience with multisite capabilities of WordPress 3.0+
- Interest in agile software development methodologies
- Experience with web hosting implementations, including the LAMP stack, and internet-specific protocols including TCP/IP, DNS, SSL/TLS, SSH, SMTP, IMAP, etc.
- Experience working with PHP frameworks such as CodeIgnitor, Symfony, Zend Framework, etc.
- Highly organized, motivated, and execution-oriented
- Must be a self-starter who is comfortable working in a highly technical environment
- Demonstrated ability for continuous learning, creativity, and problem solving
Any of the following would be an asset:
- Experience developing and integrating e-commerce solutions
- An artist’s eye for design and experience with Adobe products
- A passion for pragmatic software design
- An interest in test-driven development
- Experience with Ruby or another scripting language
- Advanced photography enthusiast with a knowledge of existing photography website solutions
- Interest in contributing back to WordPress and other open source projects
- Hours. Work hours are flexible, but we do need people who can work substantial block during normal US business hours, M-F.
- Full time, long term. We are looking for someone who wants regular, full time, long term work. As with all our hires, you’ll be hired initially as a contractor. If you like us and we like you, we’ll move toward regular full time arrangements after about three months. We want someone who WANTS to work with a smaller company, and is willing to become a very long term part of the team.
- Compensation: Competitive and open to negotiation based on experience.
- Start Date: As soon as possible.
Please send an email with cover letter and resume / CV, preferably in PDF format, to email@example.com.